Not Seeing In Black & White

20130720-122833.jpg

For some reason, because I have a blog about sarcoidosis, people automatically assume that I am a black woman, although my blog’s tag line is “One man’s positive journey with sarcoidosis”. I suppose that majority of people that have blogs about sarcoidosis and sarcoidosis support sites are black women, and thus the assumption.

And today I received an email from someone asking what, as a black woman, was my opinion on the fact that black people get sarcoidosis more than white people. Firstly, let’s clear the air.

A) I am not a woman. I am 100% male
B) I am not black. I am not white. I am not asian. I am not middle eastern. I am not Native American. I am human
C) I don’t believe in statistics

I guess if I really want to give a opinion, I can’t look at it from a black man’s point of view, or from a white man’s either. Actually, I can never understand why race always has to play a part in everything. Even in sarcoidosis statistics. Does it really matter when you already have it just how many black people compared to white people have the disease?

And let’s really think about these statistics. Where are the world’s centers for sarcoidosis treatment and research? The answer is New York City, New York and Cleveland, Ohio. The top hospital for sarcoidosis treatment is Mt. Sinai hospital, located at 98th street in New York City, just on the border of Harlem, which is predominantly African American. And Cleveland’s population is approx 53% African American. So wouldn’t it come to reason that since these major centers are in predominantly black areas, won’t most of the people that are recognized for having sarcoidosis be black? If the main treatment centers were in Salt Lake City, Utah, and Greenwich Connecticut, don’t you think the results would swing the other way?

I really do not feel that it matters one bit what race you are when it comes to sarcoidosis. I have the disease and I could give a flying freak what race has the majority of sarcoidosis. It does not matter. I have it and spouting those statistics is not going to cure me or help researches figure out a cure.

So, once again, lets cast aside race and cast aside statistics and just be supportive and try to get this disease more in the spotlight so that there is more funding for finding a cure.

1. Twyla Holman says:

I didn’t think you were black. I thought you were a white female, I don’t know why ??? I’m meeting and hearing about more whites with Sarcoidosis then previous years. I think if more whites spoke out the funding would be greater !

That is funny. Can someone’s writing sound “female”. In a lot of my posts I mention my wife. Do I sound like a white lesbian? This is way too funny. Good thing I am secure in my sexuality otherwise I think I would start developing a complex. Maybe I need to put a disclaimer at the start of my posts “Please note: This blog is written by a man. His race – Doesn’t matter”

2. Mommabel says:

I’m Polish/Irish/Mexican/Guatamalean (sp?)…don’t see where that figures in the statistics…

I know. That’s why we can’t ever take on statistics. I am French, Dutch, English, Chinese, Native Indian and Moor. Go figure that one.

1. Mommabel says:

A virtual United Nations!! I have a friend who I am CERTAIN he has fibromyalgia. He has all of the classic symptoms. He has seen tons of doctors, ruled out everything else, but no one is willing to diagnose him with fibro because he’s a man, and “men don’t get fibro”. Sad, sad, sad..

3. You’re so mysterious! 😉 Whatever you are doesn’t matter to me. What matters is that you blog about your condition to help others understand what living with sarcoidosis is like.

4. dannysarcoid says:

So sad people think race should be in the conversation . THIS DISEASE IS EVERYONES NIGHTMARE ENOUGH SAID !

Ditto! 😀