What Do You Mean I Can’t Shower For Three Days?!

In a few days I will have my implanted defibrillator replaced as my current one has reached its battery threshold, and I received the post op restrictions from my doctor's office. Among the instructions is no showers for three days.

When I had the original defibrilator impanted I had the same restriction, and I was miserable. I am not a bath tub type of guy. I love a shower, so when I had the original restriction on showering I was not comfortable taking a bath in the tub either as I was afraid that I might still get the incision wet. So I took a semi shower just using the tap of the tub and splashing water on myself gently and just washing the necessaries, if you get my drift.

However, on a trip to the drug store, in the bandage section, I saw they sold these wonderful new bandages that are water proof and go over surgical incisions allowing you to shower and not worry about getting your incision wet. I was so happy. I could shower. I guess I was not the only person grossed out by the inability to shower after surgery.I shower twice a day, and wash my hair with each shower, otherwise I feel as if I haven't had a shower. So when I could not wash my hair for three days, I felt like I was just crawling in dirt. I felt greasy and unclean. I felt as if I was showering with my clothes on. And so, of all the things that i could not look forward to with this upcoming surgery, the one thing i worried about was not having a shower for three days.

I bought a couple of packages, and I will probably recover a lot faster knowing that I can be “clean” and not feeling like a greasy hobo for three days.

1. lmcurry13 says:

Funny! It’s not so much the not showering for me with surgery although I totally get that…it’s the not being able to shave my legs that gets me. After my open lung biopsy when I had to stay in the hospital for four days….YUCK! I could not WAIT to get home and not only get clean…really clean but to shave…it was a wonderful thing! Good luck on the surgery itself.

I am a bit of a clean freak. My wife laughs at me because I have to shower in the morning even if I am going to work outside and her dirty. Then I shower again. Shaving I can leave for days so I walk around with a scruffy three or four day beard looking like I haven’t showered.

1. lmcurry13 says:

I difference between men and women…the shaving thing. Let’s face it. Hairy legs and hairy arm pits on a woman…YUCK!

Oh, and isn’t open lung biopsy the worst procedure ever? I have a post about my experience. You should check it out. It’s called “Open Lung Biopsy – My truth”

1. lmcurry13 says:

YES…it was awful. I’m two years out from mine and I still have nerve pain…surgeon says its probably permanent. I’ll have to read about your experience and see how it compares! Not fun at all!

I have the opposite now, no feeling at the incision site on the right side and the one at the top on the back. The one on the lower part of the back, if it itches and scratch, I feel the scratch on my scapula area. What’s up with that?

1. lmcurry13 says:

Weird! I just read and replied to your Open Lung biopsy post with some more details of my own experience.

2. Prayers for a speedy non stinky recovery! 🙂 God bless!

Thanks 😀

3. Hey, did you do a test run on those water proof dressings? I hope these work for you. *hug* Good luck on your implant procedure. I’ll be thinking and praying for you and for that all goes well.

You know, I really should do a test run first. Thanks!