D Is For Dumb Dangerous Drivers

This Is A Blogging A To Z Challenge Post
April 4th – D

As I passed the truck, the said idiot zoomed around me, gave me the finger and the deliberately tried to side swipe me. My car has collision avoidance and the alarms and flashing signals on the windscreen all came up as I slammed on the brakes. Just seeing the red flashing collision warning come up on the windshield pissed me off. I usually just ignore idiots like that, but this deranged fool deliberately tried to hit me with his old rusty van.

As he sped off, I took off down the highway behind him to get his license plate so I could report him. You can report drivers for road rage and the police do not take it lightly. He took off when he realized I was coming behind him. I called OnStar and they patched me into the State Police, who had a fix on my car's location on the highway and I gave them a description of the van and plate number and they told me that they will notify patrol cars ahead and apprehend him if he does not exit before he gets to them.

That's when I realized when I realized that I was going 96 mph down the highway behind this guy. I immediately slowed down and continued along at normal speed. I realized that when adrenaline kicked in, I was blind to the speed I was going, which in itself is scary. It's not like I was going to do something to the guy. I just wanted his plate number. Still, when you think of it, I ended up being a dumb, dangerous driver myself.

1. You were motivated to make sure he couldn’t hurt someone else. But your speed was his fault, not yours. You were overtaken by the need for justice! I read your ‘C’ too – how lucky we are in the Uk not to have to go through this sort of palaver when we are ill. I wish you all the luck, health and good fortune in the world. Best wishes, Liz http://www.lizbrownleepoet.com ~ No need to comment or reply.

Thanks for dropping by Liz. You are right, but I still think it was a bit reckless though.

2. lv2trnscrb says:

Glad you were able to report his license number; hoping the police were able to apprehend him. I had actually heard that some people do want to create crashes with other cars because of the insurance money involved. Sounds like a risky situation just to get some cash. I think its for reasons like this that I’m a reluctant driver and grateful that I work at home and don’t have a commute. Visiting from A/Z; enjoy the rest of the challenge 🙂

Betty

Hi Betty. Thanks for dropping by. You know, I hadn’t thought about that aspect of it as the guy was driving a ratty looking van! Scary thought. I think my lesson here is to be more vigilant.

3. April Moore says:

It’s frustrating when people do crap like that. When idiot drivers piss me off, what I usually tell myself is that chances are, I’m not going to remember this guy tomorrow. Once he drives past, it’s done, it’s over and I won’t remember it in a day or two. I’d rather let it be a fleeting incident, than have something happen, and turn it into something I will remember (and likely regret forever). With that said though, I really hope the guy was caught!

Thanks April. I usually let them go their way, buy this time …

4. April Moore says:

Frankly, I probably would have done the same thing! If someone nearly ran me off the road, I would have likely sped after him, too.