Hey Morning People, Have Some Consideration!

I am not a morning person until I have to be. I work late hours and usually, I dont wake up until 8:30 in the morning, and if I need to get to work early or am traveling for work, I don't get up until 7:00. I don't usually go to bed before 2:00 am also. And the majority of the rest of the world live a 9 to 5 life, and have kids and start their days much, much earlier than I do. I have a friend that has to get up at 4:00 am to get his kids ready for school and he is in the office at 6:30 am.

The thing with morning people though, is that they think the rest of the world are also morning people, and they have absolutely no consideration for other people. This is espiecially noticeable when I am traveling and staying in a hotel. Morning people are the noiseist people on the planet. They walk around like the have bricks for shoes, they slam their hotel doors when they leave at 7:00 in the morning and talk at the top of their voices. If night people, (who, except for the crazy few drunks, are generally quieter at night as they know the morning people are sleeping) were to slam their hotel door, or talk loudly in the corridors or walk like they wear bricks, the morning people would be the first to call hotel management and complain. If I on the other hand were to call management at 7:00 and complain about the noisey ass idiot in the room next door, I would be ignored, well, because the rest of the world is up, and I should really get my lazy ass out of bed.

1. BunKaryudo says:

i’m kind of a middle of the day person, myself. My alertness level looks like a bell curve.

2. Jackie says:

I recently read about Delayed Sleep Phase Disorder and could really relate.

Never heard of it and I need to go do that now 😀

So I read a brief thing on that disorder, and it really irks me when some people don’t fit the ” socially acceptable norm”. Some people like to go to sleep late. Just because the majority of people live a 9 to 5 life, it does not mean the rest have a disorder. They come up with a disorder for anyone that is not part of the tribe. Sometimes I wonder if movies like divergent won’t really become reality.

1. Jackie says:

The same thing irked me! I think that let should be reworded to say it causes the patient distress. If the patient doesn’t mind his/her hours and life is not being negatively impacted, then who cares about societal norms!?

However, the part that rang some bells with me is how the sleep time cannot easily be shifted, and if it is shifted, it goes right back to the late time if the person slips up. Most people will sleep quite a bit earlier as a result of sleep deprivation, or will be able to change their bedtime there is a slow shift to the new time.

Look out for the pharmaceutical companies to come out with a pill for it soon!

1. Jackie says: