Don’t Ask Me What I Do, Ask Me What I Like To Do

When people meet me for the first time, and they ask what I do for a living, they are always impressed by the fact that I am a chef, then fascinated by the type of chef I am and what my exact line of work is. Then almost inevitably they will ask what is my favorite thing to make and I will always reply “reservations”.

It gets a laugh but I am not being funny. I am being honest. What I do for work does not define who I am. I love to eat out. I love to experience other people’s cooking. I love to analyze the flavors, not to copy or criticize, but to savor the exotic experiences of dining out.

And then the part that I most dread occurs. The person will almost always tell me what they made for dinner the other night and explain how they did it, and almost 100% of time, I will zone out and just hear blah, blah, blah. I am sorry, I cook for a living and I really do not care how you made some salmon. Would you tell someone after you find out they are a doctor how you applied a bandage to your cut all by yourself?

I realize that people currently hold chefs in high esteem, but I really don’t like the fascination with my job, the questions, the advice requested. If you meet a garbage man, do you tell him what you put in your garbage last night, and how you washed out your recycling like a good citizen? No, you will probably change the subject and ask him what he likes to do so you don’t have to talk about garbage. Or in reality, you probably won’t even talk to him, but that is for another blog post.

Ask me what I like to do other than my job. I like my job, but it is not something that I want to talk about with everybody all the time.  What I do for a living does not define who I am.

©️2020 Basil Rene. All Rights Reserved

Images©️Basil Rene or Sourced From Mematic &/or Giphy Who Holds ©️Info For All Photographs In Thier Application

1. Susan says:

I can relate to some extent. Revealing I’m a Perioperative nurse results in an inquiring as to whether I stand next to the surgeon, and when I say no, people often want to tell me their health issues — for an hour. Art, music, literature…I always have to force it into conversation!

I guess so many people identify with their jobs that they can’t see otherwise. Sad

2. I think it’s a burden that professionals may have to endure. Like doctors, lawyers or engineers. Most conversation with random people may have something to do with their jobs.

3. Lisa Coleman says:

So you don’t want to hear about my meatloaf? Just kidding. 😝 I suppose I’m lucky to be a graphic artist and able to apply what I know to the things I like outside of work with photography, birds and nature. It kinda is who I am and what I like to do. So, what do you like to do besides eat out which I enjoy as well? We like to sit down and enjoy a nice meal as well at a restaurant. Missing that! 😊

Good Question Lisa. I like to do a lot of things but mostly write (currently writing a memoir about my journey with Sarcoidosis while working as a chef and a war time novel). I also love to create. I make meditation malas when I want to relax right now but also other artsy things. I am a pretty creative person when I have the time. Also love to hike but don’t get to as much as I did before having Sarcoidosis.

1. Lisa Coleman says:

I’m so sorry you are going through this and I’m glad you have a creative outlet to help you deal with Sarcoidosis. I will keep you in my prayers because I know there is no cure. So what kind of war time novel? I’m working on my historical novel that is American Civil War period.

Thanks Lisa. It’s not fun but I am alive so I am happy. It’s a murder mystery during WWII that transverses Poland, Germany and France.

1. Lisa Coleman says:

Ooh I like it! I was going murder mystery but mine is more spy related. I’m almost done with the first chapter. I’ve been saying that for a week and I keep changing it, making it better. I might be done by the end of the year. 😊

Of all the advice i read about writing they all advise to just write the whole book in one shot and then edit. I tried. Its tough to not go back and change stuff. Good luck!

1. Lisa Coleman says:

Me too but I keep thinking of better content so I have to add it or change it before I forget it. I’m at pre-civil war in the beginning. My book is a chronological story of a teenage girl who grows up fast in light of the political atmosphere. My research has me in 1856 so I’m kinda stuck there until I work out all the details to move on. I know once I get the rough draft complete, it will have to be rewritten several times. I just had to explain to my hubby this is how my brain processes. Everyone has a different writing style and process. I think once I get over the pre-war stuff, the story will move along.

Sounds interesting and a lot of research! Hope it is a fun process. Hope you get out of 1856 soon. Heard it was a good year though 😁. Have fun writing and stay safe.

1. Lisa Coleman says:

Thanks Basil. Ton of research. I want to get it right, even in fiction. 😊

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )