Isn’t it funny how the universe works? The more you resist something, the more it will push against you and show itself to test you until you come to terms with it.
Blog awards. I stopped accepting them for many different reasons that I won’t go into here, other than I would say that many are given purely for self promotion. Oddly enough, I was recently nominated by seven different bloggers for different awards in the last three weeks. What’s up with that?
Although I usually decline awards, two of those awards did not come from a place of “self promotion” but from a place of genuineness, nominations for which I am truly honored and grateful.
I already responded to the first award I received from Cyranny over at Cyranny’s Cove and today I respond to the Liebster nomination from Eromonsele Emanuelle over at Erico Trips. Eromonsele is a “Lagos based travel blogger who is enthusiastic about the experience travel and tourism offers in Nigeria and beyond. I love to talk about different means of travel, share travel photos and unlock several tourist attractions.”
Part of the nomination sequence is I answer some questions and then I nominate another 10 people. I am not going to nominate any specific blogs for the award, because all the blogs I follow are great in their own way, so I am going to tell you the blogs that I do follow on WordPress at the end of this post and you can go to my page dedicated to them and check them out yourself as they all deserve a look.
Firstly, my answers to the questions posed by Eromonsele:
- Where were you born? What was your hometown like? I was born on the island of Trinidad in the Caribbean. I grew up on the outskirts of the main city, and lived next to a large park called “ The Queen’s Park Savanah that was the center for all the cultural activity at that time. As a boy I never felt at home there and as I entered my teens and early twenties I was determined to leave. I did when I was twenty four and migrated to the US.
- Describe your idea of a perfect day. Open my eyes, take a deep breath and realize that I made it to another day. Can’t get more perfect than that.
- If we all worked fewer hours a week, we would have more time to spend on leisure activities. What activities would you like to indulge in? Writing, learning to play my piano.
- How do you find inspiration and get new ideas for your blog? Literally anywhere. In the shower, watching a tv show, going for a walk. Something hits me and I write it down. I have so many draft posts with a title and first paragraph it’s not funny. Many never get published though.
- Do you think creativity is important? How do you practice creativity in your personal and professional life? Yes it is important but I don’t think you can practice creativity. It’s a feeling, something that just happens. It’s a part of you. Just making breakfast is creativity. You can practice your craft but creativity is something that just happens.
- What is the most useful app on your phone? It’s called MediSafe. It’s a free app. Keeps tracks of my medications – how much I have left, when to reorder, reminders to take them.
- What does gratitude mean to you? What are some ways in which you express gratitude? Gratitude is everything! Without it, you are not human. I try to be grateful for everything in my life and I make sure to thank everyone that does even the slightest kindness for me. Two simple words, Thank You, so many have difficulties in saying.
- Which famous celebrity do you admire? Why? Olivia Newton John. I am a major ONJ fan boy. Heard her voice in 1971 for the first time and fell in love with it immediately. I have every record she has ever made and the lyrics to her music is what has gotten me through many a shitty experience. I have about 150 of her songs on my phone. Also, Not many people realize what work she does for the environment and for health, not just cancer. People just mostly remember her as Sandy in Grease
- What is your favourite travel hack/tip? Vacuum pack bags. I can’t travel without them. I am a major germaphobe and can’t bear to wear anything twice. And I MUST shower twice a day so if I go away for 10 days I walk with a heck of a lot of clothes (12 days worth just in case I am stuck somewhere overnight). You’re looking at 12 pants, 12 shirts, 12 under shirts, 12 tee shirts, 24 pairs of underwear, 12 pairs of socks, three sets of towels (I don’t use hotel towels” and two sets of sleeping pods (sheets that go over hotel linen – I don’t sleep on hotel sheets) and I use them all. Add to that toiletries for 12 days. The vacuum pack bags let me take lots of clothes in just one or two suitcases.
- What are your fears travelling? And how do you overcome them? Being stuck in another country without enough medication. Even if I go away for 48 hours to another country (which I am known to do) I always travel with one month’s worth of all my medications.
- When you joined the WordPress community, what were your thoughts? Did you have any expectations? Was there any specific reason why you chose blogging? (Apart from being passionate about writing) I honestly had no expectations and was extremely shocked the first time someone followed me. I began blogging mostly because at the time there was no information out there about sarcoidosis and I didn’t want people to go through the hell I went through without any knowledge like I did. I entered the sarcoidosis world blind and had to teach myself a lot.
Sorry, but I am currently working on a page of all the blogs that I follow that are active in the last six months. Thought I would have that done by the time this post went live. Check back soon.
©️2020 Basil René. All Rights Reserved
Images©️Basil René or Sourced From Mematic &/or Giphy Who Holds ©️Info For All Photographs In Thier Application